This is all my own work. Don't seal it or I'll have to hunt you down.

Don't follow me. Seriously. I bump into things.

Thursday 17 June 2010

Chapter 2

The garden is truly a sight to behold at this time of the night. My little friend has led me through the back door & into the wonderland that is my garden. The moonlight is glinting off the leaves & lighting my way through the shrubs, up the overgrown path & into the wood at the end where the fairies live. Yes, I do believe in fairies & so should you. They work hard in the background to make the world a glorious place & you should be thankful instead of trying to pretend there's no such thing. Shame on you!! I can see them now flitting through the trees, the light's making their wings twinkle while they take off the dead leaves & lead lost, drunken, pollen laden bees back to their hive. My little friend doesn't seem to frighten the fairies, but I think he lives there too so they must be used to him. A pile of leaves shook in front of me & I peered into the glinting gray shadows to see what had decided to come out to meet me, I wasn't scared. My friend gabbled something, I was oblivious though, completely in awe of my surroundings. It was a new world. It reminded me of diving & snorkeling. You look at the water & see flat bluey green wetness......then you put your face in the water, bring your feet up, swim out a ways & a whole world opens up. One full of colour & vibrancy, movement, shape & shadows. Even at night, if you swim out & splash your hands the drops of water light up like magic. Phosphorous apparently, but still a little bit of glorious nighttime magic. See, I'm digressing again, I did warn you.
Back to the garden again I think. That's where the story is, it's not in the sea tonight. It might very well be one night, but not tonight. Tonight belongs to the garden and the thing that's lurking in a non ominous way in the leaves, in the woods, at the bottom of the garden where the fairies live.

I saw an eye, it was still attached and from the looks of it, it could see. Perhaps I was a big blob in shoes & pajamas with messy hair, but it seemed to be looking in my direction. It seemed happy, it had a happy twinkle in it that told me it liked me & I was welcome. I thought at first it was a hedgehog, I could only see the glow of one moonlit eye & it looked rather small. I was wrong, It was a fox. Under normal circumstances I might have been a bit apprehensive when faced with a fox with a glint in it's eye, but it seemed friendly so I went a bit closer so I could take a good look....I've always been a bit nosy (I know, hard to believe but still). I peered in through the bushes, past the glowing spider webs & saw not one but three foxes! They were only cubs & completely fluffy & beautiful! They seemed almost as interested in me as I was in them & one of them came over to give me a friendly nibble. My little monster friend looked smug & at that moment I realised he wanted me to become part of his world. Until that night, my monsters had kept me in my room, but now my little monster friend had shown me a wondrous new world that was lit with moonlight. I felt blessed, I could feel a glow about me & knew it was a glow of happiness. I woke up. I opened my eyes to see Findizzydingo leaning over me whining to go out. It was still dark when I unlocked the back door & looked out expecting to see the new world I had just discovered. The clouds were covering the almost up sun, the sky was a much lighter shade of gray & as I turned to follow the little dog in through the back door, I saw a glint.....

No comments:

Post a Comment