This is all my own work. Don't seal it or I'll have to hunt you down.

Don't follow me. Seriously. I bump into things.

Tuesday 29 June 2010

Chapter 9

I woke up this morning with a headful of Pore & Lorr, Afrikalafrica wasn't very far behind it to be honest. I did a little research on the subjects & found out the Pore & Lorr are gnomes! Why on earth would gnomes be in my Happy Place? The mind truly boggles! What's more, they have a family supposedly, a younger sister called Trin. I have been savouring this heady delight, my new information. On the other matter Afrikalafrica, I don't know very much. My inquiries have left me a bit bereft. All I managed to find out was...it's a faraway land that can't be reached easily. You need to fly there on the wings of griffons that habitate the far off lands of dreaming. It's all a bit of a puzzle really.

I can't wait to go to sleep tonight. I have a soothing bath & a cup of hot milk to help me on my way, then I toss & turn fitfully because the night is just too warm. While I lie there, I think about this magical land & wonder why my friends seem hesitant & scared at times. I wake up in my sleep & stroll out into the garden. It's night & the birds and bats can be heard like whispers. The fairies are about, flitting between the branches in the wood at the bottom of my garden. There is no gloom, the moon is riding high & sending beams down that light everything they touch. All around me there's busyness & activity. Mamma fox is feeding her babies, the hedgehogs are slowly making there way across the grass, into the wood to search for bugs in the moss & dead leaves. Spiders scurry across webs lit up like lace in the moonlit sky as I walk past, hoping no doubt that my movement will bring flies for them to wrap. Tonight it's a happy place, I don't feel scared.

Goblin is by my side. Although he appeared as if from nowhere, he didn't make me jump or startle me. It was as though I was expecting him. He seems happy, the ominous feelings of my last sleep have left us for the time being and his smile is as radiant as the sun that warms my happy place. He nods & does a little flourish, probably dancing to a tune in his head as usual. He has a gait like a dance, maybe there is no music, maybe that's just how he moves?
I point to each thing I can see in turn & say it's name, I try to speak out loud but it's more like a whisper when it leaves my lips. Tree, fox, leaf, spider, bat, pumpkin.. I would love for Goblin to be able to talk to me. I know what the world says about English people expecting the rest of the world to speak their language because they're too lazy to learn any themselves but this is different. I don't think Goblin has words for these things where he is from. It's almost as if he can only describe feelings & emotion, not actual words that might form a sentence. Three Legs & Bones don't seem to have many problems communicating with him but it's usually when they're either happy or frightened. I point again & repeat the words, slowly, over & over. He doesn't repeat them as I was hoping he would. He nods & smiles & carries on his weird little dance to the tune that might be in his head.

I'm awake, back in my own bed. Sunlight is pouring in through my bedroom window & the alarm is making enough noise to wake the dead! Good morning world, what new levels of hell can you find to stress me out with today I wonder!?

No comments:

Post a Comment